Do you find no matter how much moisturizer you apply lately your skin craves more? Me too! The lightweight lotions I normally use aren’t cutting it come November and the cold, dry air that comes with it.
And if you’ve worked hard to achieve a glowing, healthy complexion don’t worry. Keeping your dewy glow is as easy as switching up a few items in your beauty routine.
Here are 5 things to try.
1. Add a serum to your morning routine. Normally after cleansing I apply my daytime moisturizer but now I feel it’s not enough. Solution? Apply a hydrating serum before my moisturizer. Look for serums with ingredients like hyaluronic acid that bind water to your skin.
I like: Tarte Mermaid Skin Hyaluronic H20 Serum (available at Sephora)
2. Exfoliate at least twice a week! This will remove dry, dead surface skin and reveal the young fresh skin underneath. It also helps your moisturizer to penetrate deeper. In the winter I prefer a chemical exfoliant to a manual scrub. It’s gentler and doesn’t make my skin red the way some scrubs do.
I like: Paula’s Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid (available at paulaschoice.com)
3. Use a richer moisturizer in the evening. Now that my electric heating sucks the moisture from my face on the daily, I need more hydration at night. I love Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Moisturizer. It’s got glycerine – a great emollient that also protects your skin’s outer barrier and squalane – a lipid commonly derived from olives with antioxidant properties. Your skin produces some squalane so it recognizes it and drinks it in leaving it feeling smooth, supple and hydrated. Ahhhhh. (available at Sephora)
4. When the temperature dips below zero, I occasionally swap my nighttime moisturizer for facial oil. Facial oils have better absorption than moisturizers and provide greater hydration. You can also use them as a lip balm and under eye moisturizer. Facial oils have youth boosting antioxidants and will make your skin look brighter and smoother! They are light, non greasy and fast absorbing. I apply 3-4 drops and massage all over my face and neck.
I like: Tarte Maracuja Oil, Josia Maran Argan oil (available at Sephora), The Body Shop Oils of Life
5. Don’t forget your body! The skin on your body can get drier than your face. When standard body lotion isn’t enough, nothing soothes dry, itchy skin like a rich body butter! It creates a barrier around your skin locking moisture in and keeping the cold out. And you’ll smell delicious all day long!
I like: The Body Shop Shea Body Butter